The Nordic Way of Mindfulness Series PART 3: Mys: The Art of Cosiness.
Have you ever wondered how the Nordic people have cultivated a timeless tradition of mindfulness, finding tranquility and joy in the beauty of nature and the simplicity of life’s little pleasures? Join me as we embark on a serene journey through the heart of Nordic mindfulness, exploring cherished concepts like “Inre Frid”, “Mys,” the bond with nature and “Allemansrätt,” the celebration of seasons, the art of balance in “Lagom,” and the mindful pause of “Fika.” In this series of articles, we will delve into the wisdom that has shaped the Nordic way of life for centuries, inspiring a mindful and harmonious existence.
Mys: The Art of Cosiness and Mindful Living in Swedish Culture
Let’s talk about Mys!
In the heart of the enchanting Nordic lands, a cherished concept known as “Mys” weaves its way into the very fabric of Swedish daily life. At its core, Mys embodies the art of creating cosy and comforting spaces, cultivating an atmosphere of warmth and contentment that resonates with the soul. This unique aspect of Swedish culture serves as a profound reminder of the power of mindfulness in the ordinary moments of our lives.
In the hustle and bustle of the modern world, finding respite and solace is a universal yearning. The Swedes have mastered the art of Mys as a gateway to mindful living, a practice that invites us to slow down, be present, and relish the simple pleasures that life offers.
At its essence, Mys is about more than just the physical environment – it is an experience that engages all the senses. It embraces soft candlelight casting gentle shadows on the walls, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee or cinnamon buns wafting through the air, and the soft textures of warm blankets and plush cushions that cocoon you in comfort.
Creating cosy and comforting spaces fosters a sense of mindfulness and relaxation. The Swedes understand that our surroundings play a profound role in shaping our emotions and state of mind. By curating an environment that exudes tranquility and comfort, they invite mindfulness into their lives effortlessly.
In the heart of winter, Mys reaches its pinnacle as a refuge from the cold and dark days. Swedes illuminate their homes with candlelit corners, creating a sense of warmth and intimacy that envelops everyone within. It becomes a haven of respite where family and friends gather, laughter echoes, and stories are shared.
Beyond physical spaces, Mys extends to the soul-nurturing activities that the Swedes cherish. A warm cup of tea savoured slowly, the pleasure of reading a captivating book, or engaging in creative endeavours are all considered Mys moments. It is a way of being present and fully embracing life’s small joys.
Incorporating Mys into our homes and routines can enrich our lives with a profound sense of well-being. To embrace the art of Mys, we may start by decluttering our living spaces and creating areas that evoke a feeling of calm. Soft lighting, natural elements like plants, and soothing colors can create a cosy ambiance.
Consider adopting a ritual of lighting a candle each evening or spending time with loved ones in a dedicated Mys corner of your home. Savour the moment as you prepare and enjoy a simple meal, fully engaging with the flavors and textures.
In the fast-paced world, where distractions abound, Mys invites us to turn inward, slow down, and savour the present moment. It reminds us to prioritise self-care, to cherish the bonds we share with others, and to seek solace in the embrace of cosy spaces.
Embracing the Swedish way of Mys is an invitation to weave mindfulness into the tapestry of our daily lives. It is a practice that nurtures the soul and kindles a gentle flame of contentment within. So, let us embrace the art of Mys, creating spaces and moments that celebrate the beauty of simplicity and the joy of mindful living. As we do, we honour the wisdom of the Swedish culture and uncover a path to inner tranquility that awaits us all.
Practical tips to incorporate the principles of Mys and mindful living into your daily lives:
- Create a Cosy Corner: Designate a corner of your home as a cosy sanctuary. Add soft blankets, plush cushions, and warm lighting. Make it a space where you can unwind, read a book, or simply enjoy a moment of tranquility.
- Embrace Candlelight: Light candles in the evening to create a soothing and inviting atmosphere. The gentle glow of candlelight can evoke a sense of calm and encourage mindfulness.
- Connect with Nature: Bring natural elements into your living spaces. Add plants, flowers, or natural decorations to infuse your surroundings with a touch of the outdoors.
- Savour Simple Pleasures: Practice mindfulness while engaging in daily activities. Slow down and fully savour your meals, appreciate the taste and textures, and be present in the moment.
- Prioritise Self-Care: Make time for self-care rituals that nurture your well-being. Whether it’s taking a warm bath or meditating, prioritise moments of self-nurturing.
- Unplug and Disconnect: Set aside designated times to disconnect from technology and immerse yourself in the present moment. Use this time to enjoy mindful activities or spend quality time with loved ones.
- Cosy Up with Loved Ones: Gather with family or friends in a cosy setting, sharing stories, laughter, and heartfelt moments. Embrace the joy of togetherness and cherish these meaningful connections.
- Mindful Eating: Practice mindful eating by savoring each bite, engaging your senses, and appreciating the nourishment your food provides. Avoid distractions and fully focus on the meal.
- Engage in Creative Pursuits: Dedicate time to creative endeavors that bring you joy, whether it’s drawing, writing, crafting, or playing an instrument. Let these moments of creativity be a form of mindful expression.
- Embrace Hygge All Year: Extend the practice of Mys beyond the winter months. Embrace the essence of hygge, the Danish concept of cosiness, throughout the year, finding comfort and joy in every season.
- Practice Gratitude: Cultivate a daily gratitude practice. Take a moment each day to reflect on what you are thankful for, finding beauty and abundance in the simple blessings of life.
- Slow Down and Breathe: Embrace moments of stillness and take deep, mindful breaths. Allow yourself to pause and appreciate the beauty of the present moment.
I hope that you will embrace the Swedish art of cosy living and mindful moments, savouring the beauty of simplicity and finding joy in the everyday.
I Frid, Madelaine